Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Unbearable Flyness Of Being

I like to think I'm in touch with pop culture. Sure, I'm now officially old enough that I get a headache when listening to KDWB and I couldn't tell you any songs in the Top 40. So being in touch is sort of a loose description of where I am. You know, born after the Boomer Generation, too old to be Gen X, with kids not old enough to be immersed in the current culture.

Yet not entirely out of it.

So, I can start a new cultural meme...right?

I owe this one to SueFunky, but since she's not posting, I'll preserve it for posterity.

SueFunky was looking for sunglasses with a friend of hers, who was suggesting things that are totally NOT Funky-ish. SueFunky is kind of an Ann Taylor, elegant classic kind of gal. If she were a "Friends" she'd be Jennifer Anniston. If she were on "Sex and the City", she'd be Charlotte. And I mean that in the nicest and best of all possible ways.

So, the Funky Friend was urging the purchase on increasingly odd sunglasses, leading to an exchange something like this:

SueFunky: I have never worn anything like this in my life!

FunkyFriend: Well, no offense, but you're not really very fly.

Can you believe it! SueFunky--not FLY? We are shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED by that comment.

Eventually, a compromise was reached, and sunglasses were purchased, which were agreed by all the Funky Posse as being just a little more fashion forward--that is, "baby fly."

And what is a baby fly? Maggot of course.

Look for Maggot to be the next Derelicte--coming soon.

No comments: