Thursday, November 02, 2006

Day Two--and--Why I've Not Replaced My iPod...Yet


I miss my iPods. *sniff* I had a mini, bright apple green, which was just a happy-making machine. It just made me smile to see it. And to have so much music all at once! It was amazing!

To get the proper context, however, you might need to have a brief history of my non-cutting edge audio history. My first stereo was...$100 when I opened a bank account. Yup--it was a premium/giveaway. Over time, I added a tape deck, larger speakers, and upgraded the turntable. That's right, you young whipper-snapper--that was back in the day when we played RECORDS, which were as big as a pizza, and you could listen to ONE side, and then you had to walk over and manually TURN THE DAMN THING OVER to hear the other side. That was back in the day when men were men, and album cover art was something you could see without a damn jewelers' loup. When they even sometimes put POSTERS inside that you could hang on the bedroom wall so that you could show everybody that you OWNED something.

You youngsters, you don't know what you are missing. Back in the day, when I was in the 8th grade play, and we needed props to stand in for mug shots. We used the four glossy prints of the Beatles that came in the White Album--just TRY to do that with your CD inserts. I dare you. And STAY OFF MY LAWN!

Ahem.

Yup--I really feel that old.

Anyway--that "stereo" served me well into my married life. It's kind of embarassing to realize that I had a 8-track player--built in!--in the receiver until the 1990s. We didn't have any kind of CD player for YEARS--we played the ones we had on the computer until i finally bought a 5 CD bookshelf system...with tape player and radio TOO!

This was my world until the iPod, which I got in 2005? Roughly? And, OMG--it rocked my world. Lots of music! At the touch of a button! Music that didn't get scratched and have to be replaced. Music that I could carry with me and listen to in my ears, or could play in my (no CD player) car! A machine that weould hold the entire text of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which I could listen to while walking the puppy. What an incredible invention! What a happy-making machine it was!

Until I discovered it couldn't hold ALL my music. And not even ALL the music, since I would cut only my favorite tracks onto iTUnes. I needed more room, more memory, more music!

And I discovered a clearance sale of an old--maybe 3d generation?--40GB iPod on sale for $185. And that bay DID hold all my music. Sure, it was so big that it felt like I was carrying around a brick. Sure, it was thick, and heavy, and had only a black and white screen. Sure, I found an old case, that fit it, sort of, but not quite. It still played! ANDplayed and played and played...

Until the day came when I inadvertently left both of them in an unlocked car inteh garage with the overhead door up. And by the next morning, they were gone. The two ipods, the case, the car charger andthe FM broadcaster. I hope whoever stole it finds her/himself hearing nothing but Grandma music--or goes deaf,or something.

But, I haven't replaced them yet. Sure, the video iPod looks cool, and I love the color display that's now available. I've even heard rumors of a new generation iPod that is entirely screen, with touch screen controls. I'm not sure that's the one for me.

I figure it's just a matter of time before they come out with the Implantable version, and then Ill never have to be without it.

And remember all those years of teaching kids not to put their fingers into electrical sockets? I figure we'll just need an unoccupied USB port.

No comments: