Tuesday, January 09, 2007

More Bumper Stickers To Show And Tell

In a fit of efficiency this year, I did most of my holiday (and post holiday--hello good friend "Clearance"!) shopping on-line. The downside of that is not having to drive through all 97.6 miles of parking lot at the Mall Of Abundance and thus not seeing many bumper stickers.

However, you lucky dogs, I have recently been outside the house and seen the following:

I love my country
But I think we should start seeing other people.

Quit bugging me!
I'm running out of places to HIDE the BODIES!



Editor's note: When written in plain font, with the spacing actually present on a bumper sticker, these sayings start to look like free verse. Which is not to say that they look like poetry, exactly. Check it out.

I love my country
But I think we should
start seeing other people.

Quit bugging me!
I'm running out of places
to hide the bodies!

Thus is born a literary project: to collect these sayings and see if I can, in fact, construct a narrative of some sort that looks like it's intentional and not just random. Because, sure, we can write Dadaist poetry with bumper stickers, but that's just too easy.

And hey! Look at that! Some academic and literary content with your morning blog reading! How often do you get that?

No comments: