Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Stuff You Still Didn't Know

Dooce recommended this link to Stuff You Didn't Know.

Sadly, I didn't know I was such a geek (although, to be honest, I suspected it) until I read through this list and realized two of them were wrong.

“Underground” is the only word in the English language that
begins and ends with the letters “und.”

"Underfund." 'Nuff said.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar
tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

Actually, my dad was in the army in Germany after WWII, and he and the guys used to stick their mugs into the microwave dish to rewarm the coffee. What they didn't do was to foresee the commercial and personal usefulness of the information, so they didn't invent a consumer good. However, I think it's fair to say that the #1 use of all microwave ovens these days is to rewarm the cold coffee, so "invention" status should go elsewhere.

And this I knew before I read any of the comments!

No comments: