Thursday, October 19, 2006

Thirteen Years Ago Today

So, I've now been a mother for thirteen years. Am I any better at it now than I was thirteen years ago? I'd answer that with a definite "maybe."

Sure, I have some more experience now, but does it really translate? Each of my two kids is such a personality, and they have such different strengths and weaknesses, that any problem solving I do with one is, by definition, not applicable to the other one.

The Pony is now a teenager, which doesn't call for ANY of the skills I have mastered over the years. Sure, I got pretty good at changing diapers, and getting my kids to sleep through the night, and using carseats.... Like I said, not much call for those skills these days.

The Pony remains a delightful girl. She's growing so much socially, with an expanded group of friends, and such insights into why seventh graders behave the way they do. She finds a lot of humor in what goes on around her school, and laughs at most of it.

She is still very very kind and patient, even with her parents. If I told her we were having stewed monkey heads for dinner, she'd sigh, roll her eyes and say in an aggrieved tone: "But we had that for lunch."

Tonight, she opened birthday gifts. Among them were a karaoke game and Dance Dance Revolution, which she is currently doing with her little sister. She's invited Mr. Sweetie and me to try it out too. She still enjoys us, which is such a gift. We still get to have good family times. She is truly a great kid and a joy, and I feel lucky to have gotten her in my family. Happiest of birthdays, Pony!

However, I have to complain to someone. Who loads "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond onto a karaoke Playstation 2 game? It's like Grandma's Karaoke Night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man! You have not lived until you have grooved at a Neil Diamond concert! Grandma