Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Girlfriend Beauty Hints

So, after spending a couple of nights at a fancy Hilton hotel in Chicago this summer, I discovered something I cannot believe I've lived without for so long: an magnifying mirror.

The one at the Hilton was hand mirror sized, mounted to the wall on an extending arm, and was illuminated. It was an amazing tool--who knew you could see so many eyebrow hairs that needed to be tweezed?

It was especially useful, as my eyes continue to age faster than the rest of my body, and the magnification worked even better than bifocals, which do tend to get in the way of actual tweezing. It's an age old problem--or maybe I mean an "old age problem." How do you put on eye makeup when you need your glasses to see what you are putting on?

So, I haven't (yet!) yet found a sufficiently attractive wall mounted illuminated extending magnifying mirror. But I did find a little compact sized one. And I used it. And it was amazing the difference it made in the final look of my eyebrows.

Sure, a 10x magnification might be a bit much. Maybe I really didn't need to see all those pores looking like divots, or the flakes of skin pulled loose when the hair was removed. So, I guess I'll not be ordering the Amazing Electron Microscope Magnifying Mirror either.

(This is an electron microscope image of a mascara brush, courtesy of this site. If I told you what all you were seeing, you'd never use mascara again, which would lead to a pandemic of pale eyelashed people. And no one wants to see that.)


No comments: