Friday, October 20, 2006

Puttin' On The Hits!




So, the first day results are in: karaoke is a good gift for a new 13 year old.

Turns out that, despite my long lived desire to sing karaoke, I am not as good as the Pony is--man, girlfriend totally nails it, even songs she doesn't even know. You would be amazed at how quickly she picked up "Start Me Up"-and she's not even that familiar with anything by the Rolling Stones.

It turns out (no surprise) that I'm an "80s Diva," some of my best songs being by Cyndi Lauper and Joan Jett. I'm okay with that--that's my era.

We dragooned Mr. Sweetie into singing too. We let him pick a song, and since he is a Classy Guy, he picked "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" by Tony Bennett. The learning curve is really steep, and by the end of the first song, Mr. Sweetie was nailing the notes beautifully. Then Pony made him sing "Material Girl." Which, of course, he totally aced. Pony could hardly breathe, she was laughing so hard, especially since he was singing in a falsetto, but between verses, he put on his deepest, most resonant baritone, and channelled Barry White.

However, the scores were telling, and as suave and cosmopolitan as he is, it turns out that Mr. Sweetie is a better Madonna than Tony Bennett. This is so WRONG! And I guarantee he's going to demand a rematch.

No comments: