Saturday, June 09, 2007

Studio Blues

This is a pun, because I am blue over the fact that another week has gone by, and I'm still not in my studio. Yes, the management company is prorating my rent for June, but I had hoped I could be in by now. . .maybe even have some furniture in place by now. But no. Because the walls still have to be repaired, my track lights have to go in, and none of it will be done before Monday. At the earliest.

Plus, the floors. Have we already talked about the floors? Why yes, it appears that we have! So we are all aware of how heinous the floors currently are? Yup--carpet removed, mastic left behind, and some chipped and possibly asbestos tile underneath! Whoo hoo!

I got the bid for installing the vinyl tile for my studio. And. . .well. . .since I don't have a money tree in my back yard, I'm not having the commercial guys do it. Instead, I'm going to do it myself. Because, really, how difficult can it be? And if the landlord isn't going to pay to have it installed, then the landlord is going to have to live with the quality of work I can do, and the quality I find acceptable. And what's the point of being an artist of any caliber if I'm not willing to try something I've never done before? Where I only have to please myself?

So I've picked out a marine blue floor, (get it? "Studio blues?") which goes beautifully with the purple wall color I've chosen as well. If things work out better than they have so far, I should have keys to the studio on Monday afternoon. Work will then commence and we'll see how it goes.

No comments: