Monday, June 27, 2005

Yet Another Humiliating Moment

So, I bought a new laptop, as it has become painfully obvious that one computer with four people is not sufficient. The laptop is small, lightweight, and far from cutting edge, but will do what we need to do, which is relieve the congestion around the computer generally.

So, I open it up, and start messing around on it. And it's really nifty, until the Bunny points out that "there's no sound."

Well, that simply will not do, will it? So, I check the system volume, I check the audio devices, I check their compatibility with Windows XP. I run the troubleshooter for audio devices, and stump the experts.

Still no sound.

So, now the time has come to call in some big guns. I did, after all, buy the computer only yesterday. I call the retail store's service center. They tell me to call the manufacturer. So I do.

I have to give them all my registration information (I did do it online, but it hadn't shown up yet). I tell them the problem and all the steps I took to fix it. The nice young man on the line asks to put me on hold, while he researches the problem.

Dum de dum--bad hold music.

"Um, ma'am?" He's back. "Did you check the volume control wheel on the front of the computer--make sure that it's not turned all the way down?"

So, I'm guessing that CIO job will be going to someone else.

Hey--at least I had turned the damned thing on!

1 comment:

Suefunky said...

Woo Hoo on the new laptop! More posts from the Mistress!!!

Don't worry, I watched 10 minutes of a movie on an airplane not realizing that I was listening to the Japanese channel on the audio. Damn technology.