Monday, June 02, 2008

New Car Shopping, Part Deux

Well, I did it. I got my name on the list for a new Toyota Prius.

The reality is that it will be at least 4-6 months before my name gets to the top of the list. The trick to getting to the top earlier? Being flexible about the color of the car.

Hell, that's easy. None of the colors is purple, so what does it matter? Actually, I am pickier about the inside color than the outside: I am constitutionally unable to choose a beige interior. Call it "taupe" or "ecru" or "ivory," I know it is really beige, and I don't want it! So, my color preference is officially listed as "anything that comes with a gray interior."

With luck, in 4 to 6 months, Toyota will have released its 2009 model, and maybe there will be an option for a plug in. This is popularly reported to improve gas mileage because you don't need to run the gas engine to charge the battery, but can start the car purely on electric power.

And maybe, a 2009 model will come in purple.

No comments: