- The "Slumdog Millionaire backlash" apparently didn't happen until after the ballots were in.
- Hugh Jackman (and his huge ackman) proved that the Oscars don't really need a host--just a voiceover announcer and a traffic cop backstage to run the presenters out in order.
- After the medley of Best Songs, it becomes clear just how bad Debbie Allen's choreography was for all those years.
- Sweetest moment: Kate Winslet accepting for Best Actress asking her dad to "whistle or something" so she could find him, and then a sharp whistle coming out of the dark and her excited reaction to the sound.
- Funniest moment: Hugh Jackman's opening number, an allegedly no-budget tribute to the Best Picture nominees--"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Craigslist Dancers!"
- Worst Fashion momen: Every damn ad by JCPenney.
- Most Enthusiastic nominee: Anne Hathaway, sitting in the front row and cheering and hooting through the 3.5 hour show. I just love Anne Hathaway.
- Two moments when I walked away from the TV: Bill Maher as presenter--smarmy and completely missing the light touch he needed to pull off his references to his own (unnominated) movie; and everything that had to do with Jerry Lewis.