Friday, July 15, 2005

Summer Time, And The Livin' Is Sweaty

Chez Evil is a charming 19th century farmhouse, with gables and decorative shinglework over the wrap-around front porch. The entire second floor is tucked up under the gables, so every room has at least one sloping ceiling.

The floors are all hardwood, and there is stained glass.

There is no air conditioning.

As we enter Week Two of above-90 degree temperatures, this is increasingly unacceptable.

The bitch of it is, I have been charged with finding a way to get air-conditioning installed, at least on the second floor. But, it's soooooo hot, that I literally cannot think. I have slowed down to--let's see, what is slower than a crawl--an oooooze!--both mentally and physically. Automatic lizard-brain type instinct has taken over, and all I can do is seek the coolest spaces in the house and just sweat.

This is not the pioneer spirit that founded America. All I can say is that if the founding of America had been up to me, we'd all still be living in Europe. At least until air conditioning had been invented.

No comments: