Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm A Geek!!!

So, the desktop computer at Chez Evil stopped working. As you know, the power supply burned out, and the Geek Squad couldn't fix it, because, apparently, they have strict limitations on what they can do for a Dell computer. So they told me what was wrong, told me they couldn't fix it, and sent me home to order the part directly from Dell.

Which I did. Which wasn't as easy as it sounds, because people who are of Scotch heritage like me, raised by the Children of the Depression, (translated: cheap bastards!) don't buy extended warranties. But Dell only offers technical support if you buy the extended warranty, and since Computer Chez Evil is out of warranty, I got shunted to the "Out of Warranty Help Line."

Which is a total spin, because the poor woman who took my call was of help whatsoever. She could tell me what part I needed (which I already knew, because I had looked it up on the Dell website) and she could help me by telling me that they didn't have it in stock and would have to order it from someplace else, which I could do if I wanted to.

So instead, I ordered the part from the website, and it arrived! Which was itself a sort of surprise, because I really didn't expect to see anything before I had gotten some majorly depressing emails about how the part didn't exist any more, since my computer is too old for such parts to even be made any more. Because it is, in fact, 2 1/2 years old, and at the rate of technical development, it's practically from the Bronze Age.

So, new power supply in hand, I opened up the CPU case, and carefully tracking all the connections, I replaced the old one with the new one. And I only cut myself once! Blood on the computer!!

Close it up, push the power button and. . .

Weird sounds. A grinding noise from the hard drive and some irritating beeping. It turns on, sure, but something is still wrong and nothing is showing up on the monitor. So, I tuck it back under my arm and take the CPU back to the Geek Squad.

Who still can't do anything, because it's still a Dell, but they give me a secret message: "beep codes." The way the computer is beeping as I start it up actually means something. So, if I went to the Dell website again (or called Non-technical Non-support) I could diagnose the problem.

So, after another long search through the Dell website, I finally found a manual that explained the Beep Codes. PLUS! There are diagnostic LED lights on the CPU as well--the Geek at the Geek Squad didn't know about that! So, using all my puzzle solving abilities (who says computer games are a waste of time?) I reopened the CPU case and reseated the memory cards.

And you know what? I started the thing up again, and there was no grinding! No beeping! All the little diagnostic lights started glowing green!

But.

Still nothing on the monitor. Just its own little diagnostic screen test. Back to the website--because the monitor itself is also a Dell.

Problem. The first thing you have to do to get the proper diagnostics is to select the monitor model. I can't find the monitor model. It's not on the front, it's not on the easily visible stickers on the back. Is it behind the power cord outlet? No that's just the mailing address for Dell. Is it behind this big white pin type cord with the two screws (one on each side) that I can't unscrew because they are flat against the back of the panel and so I can't get any leverage on them?

Wait a minute. White connector? What does the white connector do? Where does this cord go, anyway? Through the tangle of cords that connect all the peripherals and ending at this other white connector.

That is not connected to anything.

That fits, right here! on the back of the CPU.

That suddenly, when plugged in, causes the monitor to display a Windows logo!

And just to prove that it all works, I'm posting this--this post right here--on the newly working Dell computer!!!

Geek Squad should be calling to hire me any day now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed. I thought you had to wear magnets on your wrists to open a CPU? Guess not.

You are a genius.


mom

Anonymous said...

The name calling toward your parents is beneath you. Want to rethink that wording?

Amy Adams said...

Just to save the inconvenience of writing me out of the will this time--you will note that I referred to my parents as "Children of the Depression." I was referring to myself as "cheap bastard." (And possibly Mr. Sweetie too.)