Monday, September 17, 2007

Emmy Fashion 2007

I know, you are dying to hear what I have to say about the Emmys. First of all, I hardly watch any tv any more--not because of any principled beliefs about tv being a waste of time or anything. Rather, I don't watch tv because I'm too busy doing stuff on line. So I didn't even bother reading the nominees, because most of them are shows that I don't know about because I don't watch them.

Turns out the Emmy voters must also feel the same way, because the same few shows took home everything. Sopranos--it was their last season, so of course they won just about everything. Tony Bennett--who doesn't love Tony Bennett? So he won too. And Helen Mirren--sure, she just won an Oscar, but the Emmy is the real prize, isn't it? Plus, she's British, and just about everybody can find their PBS channel--it's usually down there in the single digits, much easier to find than all these cable channels. Did you know that cable channels change from city to city? It's true!

So. The fashions. Men wore tuxes. <snore> Now let's talk about the women!

Yes, Christina Aguilera's dress was separated at birth from Anne Hathaway's Oscar Prada. I happen to like the proportions of Xtina's better--the bow is not so overwhelming, and it's very existence is a sassy nod to Xtina's interesting condition--there were years in which all maternity clothes had little bows on them. This one, however, is not overtly "maternal," and manages to distract the eye from her little bump--also giving her plausible deniability if she needs it. Although there are other photos that indicate she's willing to go public.

I have one little concern--when these two dresses are viewed side by side, there is a hint of cheapness to Xtina's--as if it were a copy manufactured for the affordable prom market. Still, it gives here a flirty Old Hollywood kind of glamor, and on the whole, I like it. And it's a whole lot classier than this hot mess, which I guess is a post awards outfit:

I thought strapless gowns stayed up through their own engineering. This one, however, looks like the only thing keeping it up is some double faced tape, and any energetic movement is going to dislodge even that. The fake tan looks even more orange against this dark teal, and even the hair looks more helmet head than glam. Sometimes, change is NOT a good thing

No comments: