Saturday, September 15, 2007

Artistes At Work

Spell with Flickr reminded me that recently I have seen photographers in the neighborhood taking pictures of unusual things. You can tell they are artistes, not just photojournalists or casual snapshot takers by a couple of things.

First, they have cameras with long lenses. Not so long as the paparazzi must have, but more than you ever see at school events or family outings--you know, the kind of cameras with lenses that real photographers have.

Second, they are standing in weird places, clearly taking pictures of odd things. One young woman had her camera nearly pressed against a brick wall, where the old brick was interrupted by some slightly corroded metal plates, which had be artistically graffiti-ed upon. The other one I saw was a young man of approximately the same age, carefully focusing his lens upon whatever was lying in the gutter.

Perhaps it's something in the air, as the Bunny noticed a toilet sitting in an open lot near the river. "Perhaps it's there because someone is taking symbolic pictures of pollution."

I'm thinking I'd better get my camera out of my purse and start taking interesting photos too, before I'm too late and miss the trend.

No comments: