Friday, August 24, 2007

This Almost Never Happens

Our desktop computer is ailing. It was fine when we went to bed one night, but the next morning, the CPU would not turn on. All the peripherals worked just fine--power was getting to them, we could still connect through our wireless network--only the computer itself was inaccessable.

So I pulled out all the connections and hauled that baby down to the Geek Squad. Now my Fabulous Babe sister, Suefunky, has had a horrible experience with the Geek Squad out her way, and the end result is a brain-dead computer. Which is what makes my experience so amazing; because I have heard her tale of anguish and botched repair and shitty customer relations. (Not just a descriptive term--this was customer relations that shit all over her.)

In my case, I set my CPU on the counter, the Geek plugged it in and nothing happened. He opened the case, said it was a dead power box, and that since it was a proprietary item from Dell, he couldn't fix it for me, but I could order the part and install it myself or bring it in for them to install.

Okay then. What do I owe you?

"Nothing."

So, this Geek opened up my computer (which was easier than the last time I did it with a 1989 model)(which I had no idea how to do, so that was something in itself), diagnosed the problem, gave me the solution, and DIDN"T EVEN CHARGE ME ANYTHING.

Okay--I can read the posted list of services and prices. Diagnosis is something like $59. Hey, those clip on ties aren't cheap you know. A Geek's gotta keep himself in short sleeved polyester shirts. Last time I took a computer in, that Geek told me it was going to be about $300 just to open up the laptop to confirm what the problem was and I'd be better off just buying a new computer.

Maybe I just got the newbie who hadn't been fully trained on wallet-vacuuming. If I were younger and prettier and thinner, I'd say maybe he was flirting with me. He was cute, and cute guys have a way of not charging cute girls. But I'm not cute enough for that to be the answer.

So, instead, I'll just take my free diagnosis service, and get the hell out of there before someone finds out!

No comments: