Sunday, February 25, 2007

Oscars--The Scoreboard

So--how'd I do. I got 5 out of 7, which is better than a monkey could have done, statistically. On the other hand, this was not a tricky year. Forest and Helen and Jennifer were gimmes, really. It was either Marty's year or it wasn't, and since it was, that's the five I got right.

I'm sorry Happy Feet won, as it was rather inchoherent, but I guess in the year of An Inconvenient Truth, a happy animated movie about penguins which WASN'T ACTUALLY ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING but could have been. . .must win. Then again, I think I may have already ranted about that movie, so we'll just move on here.

The only one of the big awards that was in any doubt was Supporting Actor, and I really didn't expect Alan Arkin to win. Sure, he got to die, but that was off-screen. And as Will Ferrell, Jack Black and John C. Reilly pointed out, comedians don't win Oscars. I gues the Academy liked Little Miss Sunshine way more than I did.

So, my goal for next year? Once again, I think I'll strive to see the Best Picture nominees, and my real goal is to make some bets on some categories that are less Sure Things. Maybe I'll have to make an effort with screenplays next year.

No comments: