Friday, March 14, 2008

Nerd, Meet Geek: Geek, Nerd

Thanks to "Anonymous" (really, dear, I'm sure you have a much cooler online identity than THAT!) who commented on my Pi Day post, I have now taken both versions of the Nerd Test. Because back in my formative days, we had more or less undifferentiated nerds. "Geeks" were still actual circus freaks who bit the heads off chickens.

Since that time, as Dungeons & Dragons players have taken over the world via computers, there are now important distinctions to be made amongst the various subspecies of nerds and geeks.
Thus, I have come to consider myself more of a geek than a nerd--that is, I have the ability to get obsessive over matters of literature and history, but tend to live my computer life without needing to ever code--yes, I surf on the strength of other people's coding skill, and live my life at the software level.

So, when faced with the ability to actually test my nerdiness, I jumped at the chance. Although I fear I have compromised my results, as I took the test early in the morning, thus artificially lowering my score on the pivotal question of "how many hours have [I] been on the computer before taking this test."

In version 1.0, I rated fairly high on the nerd scale:


I am nerdier than 54% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!



Version 2.o rated me along several vertices, and confirmed my suspicions about myself:


NerdTests.com says I'm an Uber Cool High Nerd.  What are you?  Click here!


Aristotle said that "The unexamined life is not worth living." I guess I know myself pretty darn well--for a nerd.

No comments: