Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Momilies--Starbucks Edition

I am reading Michael Gates Gill's memoir How Starbucks Saved My Life, allegedly a book about how the privileged Gill ruined his life, found a job at Starbucks and learned to live "like the rest of us."

I will be reviewing this over at the Book Blog of Evil later--I'll wait until after my bookclub meets on it a week from now.

For now, though, I have this thought I will share:

Forever namedropping, Gill writes of meeting Ernest Hemingway in Spain on the day of the running of the bulls. Hemingway tells him to run with the rest of the young men in front of the bulls, which he then does.

So: If Ernest Hemingway told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it, Mr. Gill?

EDITED TO ADD: I finished it. I have one word for anyone picking up this book: Don't.

ALTERNATIVE ONE WORD REVIEW: Urgh!

No comments: