Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Deadline Approacheth

I have a birthday coming up. I may have mentioned before, but I am Officially Very Difficult about my birthday. I can be a flexible, accommodating person most days of the year--at least I think so--but my birthday brings out the worst in me.

I want to be feted! I want to be adored! I want to get the birthday equivalent of an Oscar (TM) Award for having been born! I want to be pampered and fussed over and celebrated and generally be a big old Entitled Diva Who Has Everything.

Needless to say, this makes things difficult for those around me who have to live with me. Especially who have to live with me on the Day After my birthday--a dangerous day if I feel that I have not been suitably spoiled. (*cough* Mr. Sweetie *cough*)

Last night, Mr. Sweetie hosted a dinner party at a restaurant for two of his co-worker/friends. It was proposed to me as a "and spouses" event, but I was the only spouse who made it. Their task was to drill me into giving up some ideas of what I might want for my birthday.

So, the question was put to me: "If you could have anything you wanted, what would it be?"

I like this question. Although it does open up loads of possibilities--"Anything? Really?"

It took me about 45 seconds to say "I'd like a country house in Kent. With unlimited tickets on RyanAir."

But then I realized it was a question about what I wanted for my birthday, and not just a philosophical exercise. Even I don't think I'm about to get a country house in Kent. Which is just as well, since I was wavering between that and a house in the South of France.

And it would be so embarrassing to get the wrong one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll check out some Kent real estate for you -- would that help?