Sunday, March 12, 2006

Boomer Tunes

Have I bitc..I mean, blogged about this already? I write so many of these in my head before I post them that I can't remember.

Well, if this is familiar, you have permission to skip it.

Kid movies. We like to go see movies as a family, which means we see a lot of kid/family movies. And I am struck by the music. So many animated movies have a soundtrack that was already "classic rock" when I heard the songs the first time. Thin Lizzie, Styx, Eagles, The Monkees--sure, they are sometimes perfomed by new acts, but the songs are fundamentally NOT kid music. It is the music of their parents...or even older than that.

Which makes me think: if they had used similarly old music for the movies of my childhood, we'd all have been singing "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime" and "Hinky Dinky Parlez Vouz."

No comments: