Saturday, January 14, 2006

NOW--I Am A Woman

So, I've finally done something that marks me as an official grown-up. Really-0, truly-o all the way adult.

I bought furniture.

That's right, I bought REAL furniture from a REAL furniture store. This means the kind of store where you don't buy it and take it home right away. A store where you have to evaluate floor samples and fabric swatches and then you have to imagine THIS sofa with THAT fabric and THAT wood but not in THIS size, more like THAT size, except that the back is lower. Or the seat is higher. Or something.

And Mr. Sweetie and I took home swatches and samples and catelogs and we laid out scale models of our room and the furniture on a grid and we compared colors in incandescent light and natural light and I had even decided what goddam FRINGE we wanted on the goddam accent pillows. Armed with all this we went in this morning to order:

A sofa;
Two chairs;
An ottoman;
A drop leaf table;
Two accent tables;
One floor lamp;
A pair of table lamps.

All we thought we needed to do was tell our salesperson what we wanted, and pick the color of leather for the ottoman and the color of the lampshades for the table lamps.

It still took better than THREE AND A HALF HOURS.

Oh my God! We had to pick the finish color of the legs of the chairs and the sofa. We had to pick the finish on the drop-leaf table. We had to pick the LEATHER, the NAIL HEADS and the WOOD FINISH on the otttoman. Who knew there were 4,256,385 different colors of leather? Who knew there were 185 different kinds of nail heads? Who knew that there were only 6 colors of wood finish and THAT was what we'd want more of?

So, we got it all ordered, and now we have to.....

wait.


About 3 months.



Before it arrives.



Dang I hate to wait. I'm more into instant gratification. It's kind of my deal.

No comments: