Friday, April 25, 2008

Freudian Analysis

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. (Does this date me? How long ago was it that Cliff from All My Children was married to Nina and doing dopey advertisements on the side? Anyone? Helllooooo? Anybody as old as I am out there?)

Furthermore, I am not a trained Freudian psychologist, although I do have an English major from a Major University, where Freudian interpretation of literature was encouraged, even if none of us had even read Freud or had any coherent exposure to his work. What's to know? Anything longer than it is wide is phallic, and thus represents the entirety of masculine identity--don't talk to ME about lumberjacks!--and everything else is essentially feminine. Especially if it is wet. It's all the "id" as well.

So, now that we are all qualified to diagnose the subconscious, I have a case for you. Let's call this person "Mr. Sweetie." Mr. Sweetie has had a hard week at work. Mr. Sweetie came home late each night, and last night, as he is puttering about the kitchen, we find him whistling a tune. Mr. Sweetie often whistles as he putters--usually popular fare in a major key, often written by John Phillip Sousa.

Last night, he was whistling Darth Vader's Theme from Star Wars.

Discuss. Extra points are available for working in references to the "oral stage."

No comments: