Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Fun With Latin!

Another in our occasional series of "Fun With..."

I tried to take Latin in high school (yes, and I am STILL a geek), but not enough students signed up so it got cancelled. Thus, my only Latin is the Stuff One Picks Up. A legal education is probably a small help in that, but even so, my law school diploma is written in Latin, and I can't read it.

So.

We've all heard "Veni, Vidi, Visa:" the riff on Caesar's declaration "veni, vidi, vici." "I came, I saw, I conquered" becomes "I came, I saw, I shopped."

The Pony came home the other day with "Veni, Vidi, Velcro:" "I came, I saw, I stuck around."

Incidentally, a friend of mine took some elementary Latin, and discovered to her horror that the "v" sound in Latin is pronounced as "w." She insisted, and I agree, that a macho dude like Julius Caesar would never have said "weenie, weedy." Just not good form, eh what? Not at all swank OR topping good form.

So, The Bunny's nickname at school is "Emo", pronounced like the police abbreviation "M.O." which has it's own irony. ANYWAY. Something about the Bunny encourages playing with her name, so occasionally we call her "Emo, Emat, Emas" which if I recall my crossword puzzle Latin accurately, would loosely translate as "I love Emo, you love Emo, s/he loves Emo."

Right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maybe the t ending is he/she/it and the s ending is you (singular)?

Geek mom