Wednesday, June 21, 2006

All We Need Really Is Love!

I'm still marinating in U2 music, and it still surprises me on a frequent basis. Just now, I'm listening to a live performance with B.B.King of a song my U2--"When Love Comes to Town."

It's a terrific song, so beautifully suited to B.B.'s voice and his band plays horns in the back, giving the entire thing a decidedly non-U2 sound. And B.B. King's guitar sound is so distinctive, and SO iconic, I assume it takes a real degree of chutzpah on U2's part to play with him.

And then, I saw the video of the rehearsal. Bono is showing B.B. King around the set up on stage and sketching out what they will be doing. And, bless his heart, B.B.King is nervous! Who'd have thought? Bono is talking about what key they will be in, or something, and B.B.King (the man is a GIANT! and not just figuratively!) says:

"I'm not so good with the chord thing."

He's practically scufffing his toe in the dirt, he looks so abashed. Bono hastily says:

"Oh, don't worry. Edge will do THAT."

How revealing! Even B.B. King needs love too!

No comments: